Everyone wants to make more money!
Lightroom is a very intensive and complete editing program that can take hundreds if not thousands of hours to fully learn and understand. One of the most important tool that sped up the way I edited in lightroom was the use of hot keys. Hot keys are important and can speed up your editing time by well over 80% when used correctly. This article focuses on 5 of my most important hot keys that changed the way I used lightroom.
Top 5 Keyboard Shortcuts
1. “G” is in the center of your keyboard and is designed to bring you from any module back into the library module in grip view.
2. “D” is just to the left on your keyboard and will you back to the develop module. The develop module is important because that is where you will spend 80% of your time in lightroom
3. “R” is on the top left of your keyboard and is the hot key that accesses the cropping feature in Lighroom. Cropping is almost essential on every photo to some degree.
4. Cmd + Z (Mac) or Crtl + Z (PC) this is a combination of two keys that is one of the most important keys to know because Cmd + Z allows you to take one step back in any process.
5. “F” is in the middle of your keyboard and is the hot key to cycle through the various screen modes in full screen mode of one image.
Literally, time is money.
How I made over $50,000 more per year via speeding up editing.
As a photographer or editor time is money. Editing is one of the most time consuming jobs that every photographer will be inundated with.
For my company we captured over 160,000 images in 2015, which was a lot for us.
So let’s simplify it and focus on just 5000 images: If one image takes on average 3 minutes to process and you have 5000 images to process, that means that you would spend approximately 15000 minutes or 250 hours. That’s ridiculous!
Using these 5 simple hot keys can speed up your editing time by up to 80% by making your movements and editing steps more streamlined. If you sped up the process by 80% you would save 12000 minutes or 200 hours. That’s a lot of reclaimed time to spend doing what you want.
One last gamer changer.
Learning how to speed up your editing process can be a no-brainer when it comes to being a photographer. By simply learning 5 hot keys any editor can speed up their workflow tremendously. Think about it, I have just shown you 5 simple hot keys while there are over 500 hot key short cuts that are included on the diagram provided.
Image source: http://petapixel.com/2015/06/16/ultimate-cheat-sheets-for-photoshop-and-lightroom/