Why do I need a collection in Lightroom?
In lightroom there are a number of ways to sort and organize your images to help make the editing process easier and more streamlined. When you hear the word Collections, I can bet that your mind might think, collections like a person asking for money or collections like a comic collection? A collection in lightroom is very similar to the concept of a comic collection. Now, I chose the word comic as a generic term while in lightroom a collection is a grouping of your photos.
What the heck is a lightroom collection?
WHAT is a collection?
It’s very important to not get confused with a catalog over a collection. They both have important roles but very different roles. From a previous article (What is a Catalog) I used the comparison that a Catalog is similar to a book and a collection is like a chapter in that book. As you can see there must be a catalog for a collection to exist in.
Catalog 1: ( is like a book)
Collection 1.. (is like a chapter in that book)
Lightroom has 3 different kinds of collections aka 3 different ways to group your photos in your catalog.
A Regular Collection
- A regular collection – A regular collection is a group of any photos you decide to put in it.
A Smart Collection
- A smart collection – A smart collection is based on rules that you define. For example, you can create a smart collection of all photos that have a five-star rating and a red color label. Photos that meet the criteria you define are automatically added to the smart collection.
A Quick Collection
- A Quick Collection – A quick collection is a temporary collection of a group of photos for to work with. Unlike the previous two collections, you can only have one quick collection.
How to Create a Collection
- In the Grid view, select photos and do one of the following:
- Choose Library > New Collection.
- Click the Plus icon (+) in the Collections panel and choose Create Collection.
- In the Create Collection dialog box, type a name in the Collection box.
- If you want the collection to be part of a collection set, choose it from the Set menu. Otherwise, choose None.
- Select the Include Selected Photos option.
- If you want make this collection available on your Lightroom mobile app, select the Sync with Lightroom mobile option.
- Click Create.
- The collection appears in the Collections panel with a photo-print icon . Photos that are part of a collection display a Photo Is In Collection badge in the Grid view and the Filmstrip.